Thursday 8 December 2011

The Wright Stuff - Liam Aitchison

Now, I tend to clear away from news articles that could cause arguements. But this recent story has been brought to my attention and if i am completely honest I really don't know how I feel about it.

The Wright Stuff is a Tv and news programme, based on a panel discussing points of interesting from the news, this being Tv or tabloid papers. Matthew Wright is the presenter of the Channel 5 show.

There has recently been a tradgic murder in Scotland, on the Isle of Lewis.The horrific murder of the teenage boy Liam Aitchison in teh Stornoway area, was the first murder in 40 years for the Island. This murder was mentioned in the tabloids and then reported back to the panel in the Wright Stuff earlier this week.

Now, this is where, sadly, my moral compass is off and I don't know how I feel about what unfolds next. In the presentation of the story, it is mentioned there has been a murder in Scotland, at this point the Tv host Matthew Wright puts on a Scottish Accent and say "murrrdderr" in the way that Comedians and the general public, including myself, have done following the popular Scottish Murder and Crime series Taggart. The presenter and the panelist then talk about the area of Stornoway and fishing. The clip is below:


I have watched this clip too many times to mention now, each time it seems to me, very clearly, that Matthew Wright is NOT meaningfully making fun of the victim or the poor boys family and that there is no meaning of malice behind his comment, so part of me feels sorry for the backlash that he is getting, which seems to be a current craze of the nation to blow up any body from celebratity form into a front page headline, catching them out at every chance. Start up a capagin against this and Ofcom that.

However, this is a tv panel show about the news shouldn't this then mean that we should hold a more direct and serious approach to the presentation of the show?

But then I don't watch it for that, I actually watch it to follow up the current news with someone who is as oppinionated as I am and with that a bit of tongue in cheek behaviour.

That being said they were reporting on a murder. A murder of a young teenage boy. This is also the first murder that the Stornoway community has seen in a generation. This boys family, friends and community are clearly going to be shocked and disgusted at this news not being taken seriously.

So, where do you draw the line?

Should a panel show like this tighten up on its presenters and make it a strict news presenting show?

Should the producers, directors and teams have a bit more control about the news stories that are presented, so no offence is taken?

Should Matthew Wright be fired from the show and Channel 5?

Or Should we expect nothing less from a show, that you purposefully watch for the comedy that surrounds the news?

I will be honest, these questions above is where my thoughts are, and I can not seem to pick a question to answer and run with. It WAS wrong of them, yet Matthew Wright has apologised. It is in bad taste, but very rarely have I seen a murder story even mentioned on the show, does that mean the format needs to change.

I'll leave you to comment and tell me.

..........................................................................................................

I would like you to take this as my views over the news scandal of Matthew Wright and his presenting, not on the horrific murder of Liam Aitchison. This is a horrible crime and my prayer and condolences are with this poor boys friends, family and community.

3 comments:

  1. The island is reeling at the moments from these events. People are upset and maybe overreacting a little to what is in essence a fairly puerile show (if you want news watch a news program). Making fun of news stories seems to be it's main purpose. A error of judgement was made, fair enough we all make mistakes. However the apology was a disgrace. It was an "I am apologising because I am being forced to not because I am in the slightest bit sorry" apology. This after the poor murdered boy's father had eloquently stated his feelings on the matter.
    Even this would maybe have been accepted but the following "grow up" comment about the facebook page set up origianlly by someone purely to guide a few friends to the correct complaints procedure to Ofcom was the ultimate insult.

    Are we not allowed to lodge a complaint officially because a large tight nit and extended community has been severely offended?. Is this show above that?...and the "grow up" comment is in itself intensely child like.

    Apologise sincerely or don't apologise at all and suffer the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martyn Being free8 December 2011 at 04:55

    You have brought up a few more points that I had been thinking about.

    Firstly I agree, it isn't a serious news programme and they did cross the line nonetheless. The news shouldn't be made fun of, unless it is a light hearted report. But i suppose in those cases you have shows such as Harry Hill to mock those events.

    Secondly, i think you are correct that his apology wasn't that sincere, that did come through very poorly, again especially when you know that the boys father even commented online.

    Thirdly, the "GROW UP" comment. Mmmm...I agree with you that it was set up for people to be able to be aware of where they report him if they wish and in that point I agree completely with you. But do you not think that there is almost a "community" of people who jump on the band wagon to complain, even without knowing the details, and for me, if people are just jumping on to complain for no understanding then they should think about their actions. Just as Matthew Wright should think about his.

    You state that "is this show above that?" and that is probably at the heart of my confusion. I think considering it is often seen as a joke news show.i definitely think something needs to be done, just not sure of what.

    One point that no one really seems to be mentioning is the panelists comments. Is it because he was following Matthews lead? I think maybe a public apology from him would also be nice if we're pushing so hard for a better one from Matthew Wright.

    Thank you for commenting though. I appreciate your thoughts to help me clear mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Fairyfreak's assessment on this.

    The second apology (Thursday), at least had the right words in it- the first one which said "I know people are offended" but added "if" (they were offended), was crass and arrogant, and coupled with the allegation of juvenile status of those who complained, offensive in itself.

    Nice to see at least the words have now been said, though one can only conjecture as whether they were meant or merely instructed by an organisation not wishing to fall out with its advertisers.
    Tom Green
    I think one of the annoyances here was with the first apology that the message was put out by Wright that what he might choose to say outranks the views of honest decent people, and his second apology has at least proved that otherwise

    ReplyDelete

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...