Sunday 22 May 2011

The birth of my second Son!

I am pleased to say that on Thursday the 19th of May 2011 James Keith Kitney was born! He weighed in  at 6.4lbs and was absolutely gorgeous, he was just over two weeks early, but luckily we were all ready for him, and are even happier on his arrival.

So, without Candy going mad at me sharing too much detail, I thought that I will share what happened. It might save me from repeating it a few times!!

I managed to get in quite late Wednesday evening after the 18-30's cell group (Which was great) and was just adding the last few bits to a talk that I had been asked to do. By the time I finally got into bed it was around 1am I was shattered, but alas, like recent evenings, I wasn't ready to go to sleep and was laying awake thinking of a hundred and one different things. I even think I posted on Facebook that I couldn't sleep and was frustrated, which usually somehow manages to knock me out.

The next thing I know, Candy is calling me from the bathroom, after I checked my phone and saw it was 3:45 (am) Candy was shouting that it was time, so after the near event on the previous Sunday I made sure we had 5 regular contractions. RIGHT!! IT IS NOW!!

I phoned the midwife delivery suite and informed them that Candy was in labour, and then called Candy's sister, Carissa, who was planning on being birthing partner. At 4:30am they both turned up. Candy by this point was laying in a nice warm bath, trying her hardest to go with the flow of the contractions. It seemed not to take long for the second Midwife and her Student to turn up and set up, so with three midwives in the room, Candy moved over to the bed. Candy was great, she didn't take a lot of Gas and Air and did nearly all the midwives told her to do. The only thing that she was fighting was the suggestion that she walk around, with the midwives hoping that gravity would assist.

Whilst these things were going on, Candy being under the influence of Gas and Air was hilarious! Well for me she was! I know, she has done an amazing thing but it was funny. Candy shouted " No, its Megmeg (our black fluffy Persian cat) She's in labour! And Poppy (our Ginger Persian cat) is watching!" Now, after, Candy will tell you that she heard the midwives talking about the cats walking in and out and that she was trying to reassure them that it was OK for Poppy and Meg to be in the room, because our cat, Meg, had had a litter of kittens. But for me this was brilliant!

Candy, continued to push and do so well, Carissa was being a great support and holding her hand and reassuring her. After two hours the midwives were getting a little concerned but only because they were worried that Candy was getting tired. One of the midwives put her gloves on just to inspect and POP! James, head and to toe, very quickly came out. We checked the time and at 7:05am he was laying on mummy.

I couldn't fault the midwives they were great, they really supported Candy and made everyone feel at ease. We would say that as long as you're healthy and have a healthy pregnancy that a home birth is a great idea. Candy felt more relaxed and could actually request whatever she wanted around us, rather than keeping with Hospital protocol. She had her own TV, ate what she liked when she wanted and, rather than being something clinical and detatched, the birth became a family event.

William was brilliant, he slept through the night and noise and only woke at half 6, where he was quite happy eating his breakfast and watching TV. When he met James, he gave him a kiss and a cuddle, but was far happier that James had got him a wooden train set to play with. ( I personally don't know how James went to Toys 'R' Us, but good thinking little man ;-) your brother loved it ) He has been beautifully behaved and has even tried his hardest to help Daddy tidy when he can.

The only down side, and this is a fault with me rather than home birth, is that I should have been stricter in allowing family in that evening, hospitals have a strict two to a bed rule and only have a two hour visiting time. Candy and I both found it quite stressful; at one point the following evening there were ten people in our bedroom wanting a cuddle-with James, not me-sad times. I know they are our family and that they love us, but maybe I should have used the rest of the house better. I feel I am now able, a couple of days on, to organise guests better; visitors can have a cuddle and see Candy and James, but they can also sit and have a cup of tea and wait if necessary, and Candy can be alone with James to sleep or feed, or as seems to be the case most of the time, Will, Candy and James having a giggle on my bed while I play gate keeper to the stairs.
Anyway, a few pics for you to enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Martyn and Candy, he is absolutely beautiful!

    I would expect nothing less from Candy with regard to the cats incident! Especially on gas and air :-).

    I am thrilled that you are all happy and healthy, and that the home birth was less stressful. It sounded like a great idea!

    I can't wait to see you all when it is convenient - will perhaps try to pop by over the bank holiday.

    Much love to you all!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...