Friday 25 February 2011

Where has the respect gone?

I have had the most awful experience today and thought I would share it.

I was just on the way home when I remembered that my wife had asked me to grab a few items from the shop: mainly for a replenishment of Juice for my Son.

Now, for those of you who don't know me I have a muscle wasting condition called FSHD (FacioScapulaHumeralDystrophy) which is a type of Muscular Dystrophy. My body is deteriorating and walking is getting the point of very difficult to near impossible. When I walk I have a very unbalanced "wobble" and extreme foot drop with lower leg extension. This makes my walking very obvious, but I am happy to do it as long as I can, knowing that quite recently I have been falling even when I have my stick, therefore meaning me using my wheelchair more and more. I didn't think a quick shopping trip for squash didn't require the wheelchair. it was an easy get out of the car, walk 2meters in the shop and get the assistant to grab what I wanted. Easy!

There was a group of 6 teenagers. Aged between 13-17 walking towards me. They spotted me and started shouting abuse and trying to copy my walk, trying their hardest to show each other the best impersonation.

This isn't the first time this has happened so I ignored it, If it was one or two "youths" I would have normally have stopped and corrected them, usually by informing them of what they are making fun of and then the final guilt trip of telling them that this illness is killing me. It usually has an effect of the one or two. But I would never dare a larger group. I ignored it and walked into the shop.

I purchased what I wanted and came out. These boys were lined up against the shop front, waiting for me, they decided to continuing their impression of my walking and health from the shop door to my car door, understanding again that it was only a 2 meter distance. Whilst mocking me, they were shouting, "what a spas" and "where did you learn to walk?"  I, uncomfortable by the experience, ignored it and got in my car and drove upsettingly home.

Now, here is my question. Where is the respect? I understand the younger children who question "Mummy what's wrong with that man?" They are curious, not disrespectful. But these teenagers had a clear purpose, to make fun of me, to make themselves look "big" to their friends and in hope to scare and upset me. Which, although they did, I hope I didn't show.

The whole experience has quite upset me and to be honest has made me a little nervous about going out by myself again. I will pray and read and hope to build my confidence and courage up again, but in the meantime, I'm sure that is all I can do.

2 comments:

  1. That is utterly disgusting.

    I am relieved that you didn't try to approach them on your own. For a start, if they are willing to do that, there is no knowing what else they would be capable of. Secondly, I suspect that they have no conscience, no morality, no compassion, capability of thought or anything else to which your words could appeal to.

    It makes me so sad to see how people can be brought up this way.

    Reading your post has made me feel utterly conflicted. Part of me wishes that they could experience this either first hand, or through someone they love (if they are capable of such an emotion), so they can begin to understand the hurt they caused you.

    However, could I wish that on someone else? I don't know their history - why they have become like that. Also, I fear that they would not be capable of gathering the strength of mind and compassion you have. I honestly think they wouldn't be able to cope or understand it at all.

    I suppose that my one comfort is that you and Candy are bringing up two beautiful, intelligent children who will be the polar opposite to these 'youths'. I am sure that there will be more like them, and that they will be shining examples and an inspiration to others.

    Sorry for posting an essay - your words really did upset me... Needed to rant too!

    Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mate,
    Not a nice experience at all and I think you dealt with it admirably. We have all been created in God's image and you are a shining example of this.

    This above example, in a way shows me why I love doing youth ministry. I am passionate about the local church engaging with young people in their local community. We have a real opportunity to make a difference and change young lives - and God certainly hasn't planned for that to be easy. I agree with Mike's comments that some of them wouldn't be proud of themselves, young people often act very differently in groups and our culture is allowing them to do this.

    Be strong and proud of who you are, you're amazing!

    Grace and Peace
    Matt

    I didn't post on facebook

    ReplyDelete

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...