Sunday 30 October 2011

Who do you think you are?!

I was listening to a talk at Holy Trinity Church, Twydall, about saints, being All Saints day.
It really got me thinking, so decided to write about it.


There has been running, for a few years a historical genealogical programme called Who do you think you are? For those who don't know, it traces the family tree of celebraties. It can, at times,  be quite interesting.


The main reason of the show is to remember the important roles that the possibly insignificant people of their time had on the family and friends around them or after them.


Is that  true meaning of saints (with a small s )?


There are so many people in this world who do so much for the people around them, and actually the majority of the time the recipitent is unaware fully of what a person is actually doing! I am fully aware of the fact that I have friends and family who do so much more than I am aware of.


There are so many saints in the world, Christian or not, these people will be remembered for their works to others, even if it is just one person.


This really got to me. The thought of me dying, quite understandably, goes through my mind a lot. Not because I am scared of death, oh no, but what is left behind after I am gone. The "inheritance" of my life. I want to be remembered for the good i do or have done, not for the sins that have shaped us. I try to be a good man and do my good deeds but am constantly aware that I could do more and be more, so am always trying to help people and have a purpose to be remembered by. The thing that makes a difference. I suppose even to be a saint to someone.


I recently took a friend to college in Canterbury, and when do I usually wait round for several hours. I thought I would go and visit a church that I always wanted to visit when lived down there. When i turned up, there was a man laying in the church grounds; due to its uneven path I couldn't get to help the man. Banging loudly on the church door, some ladies (afternoon tea) came out. After explaining that this man needed help, they straight away explained "that he was probably a drunk and don't worry" It took a lot of arguing to convince them to check this man. He was drunk and homeless, and on checking he then went of his way and refused any assistance. It really shook me how people could act like that, and this time I'm talking about the Christians and not the homeless man. I was truly ashamed of how unwillingly these people, these Christians, were to help, especially when you consider the modern similarities of the good Samaritan.


I honestly believe we can help and shape people lives and that kindness is the way to do it. Being saintlike is far from easy, and I am definitley not the ideal model, but I try, and think that is important.


At school i had a wonderful R.E teacher Dr. Dean, she was possibly my favourite teacher. She spent time with my individual care and learning, she even inspired my way to faith, probably unknowingly. I pray and wish her well even to this day, because her kindness to me showed me a person of God. A real saint in my eyes.


But as it says in Matthew 5v9: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.


So, who do you think you are? Humbly you are no one, and that should be the way, as I have said before don't be a "Here I am person". I say be the peacemakers, bring peace through kindness and shape somebody's life, try and be a child of God and be a saint to someone.

2 comments:

  1. @daily_encourage author30 October 2011 at 14:33

    Great blog. Keep preaching His word! :D Be blessed. Hannah x

    ReplyDelete

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...