Friday 16 December 2011

Christmas and Children

Christmas is such a lovely time of year.

It is probably one of the busier times of years for churches, I am aware of more people going to church at this time of year, which in some ways is brilliant because the people who are going try to set something aside for God.

I was wondering if this has anything to do with our childhood memories?

Most of us remember the Christmas rush at school, there would be the Christmas school play, the Nativity and usually the Carols that we would sing in Assemblies (usually very loudly!!) We all grow up with the feeling that these are things that help us get into the Christmas spirit. My Sister-in-law for example, posted on facebook, "Christmas songs playing in the car and it is snowing, now feeling all Christmassy" 

So, for a Christian, although I could argue that Once a year church isn't really Church, i think we should use this opportunity to present ourselves, God, Jesus the best that we can, allow our churches to capture the hearts of everyone who comes.

I know, though that this is difficult to do, so for the time being I will smile at seeing everyone new coming into church for the special events.

My target event this year is the Nativity service. I am keen on seeing if I can get as many people, as possible, hopefully people with children, to this service this year. I mentioned this service and it has happily spread like wild fire. Fantastic!!
And to this date we have organised at least 4 people coming with their families to enjoy the service. My target number is 10?! 10 people and their families.

So, if you live in the Twydall/Gillingham area, i would ask you to help me get to my number! Holy Trinity Church (the pointy one) is holding the Nativity service at 5pm Christmas Eve, dress your children up as nativity characters as well and let them have fun. Fulfil your childhood memories of this time of year and let your children have these memories too. Sing carols, dress up, have fun and remember why we have Christmas in the first place.

If you are interested. Message me and i will give you more information. Help me reach my target!!

1 comment:

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...