Wednesday 20 April 2011

Not a tame lion

As part of Holy week there is a sevral themed talks held at Canterbury Cathedral by the Archbishop of Canterbury based on the C.S. Lewis's books the Chronicals of Narnia. Seven Books in total:

The Magician's Nephew,
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

The three talks, although not on any specific book but over the whole set are titled:
1: Not  a tamed lion
2: I only tell you your story
3: Bigger on the inside than outside

I was quite interested by this when a friend had mentioned it so decided to attend, of which I have attended the first two, and plan on attending the third. I have made plenty of notes and hope to share all three nights with you here, and although I am only recording my interpretations of it, I will try to share as much as I can.


Not a tame lion

On arrival, the Archbishop was discussing that there are often themes running through the Narnia stories that could be grabbed and looked into, and that there were elements that clearly show the comparative features of the stories with Christianity. He listed examples of these highlighting  one  in  particular. Narnia is a nation, a nation of 'chosen' people, and the neighboring city of Calomene is actually a comparison of neighboring religions where the inhabitants are described as Arab or Muslim like in appearance and culture. However, according to searches made, C.S Lewis disagreed with a lot of the public seen similarities between Narnia and Christianity (Even though it is known that he came to Christianity in adulthood).

The Archbishop then started discussing his titled topic, quickly using a scene from L.W.W. The children have already arrived in Narnia through the Wardrobe, and due to an argument a very arrogant Edmond rushes off and meets with the White Witch (the reigning evil power withing Narnia), whilst the other three children, Peter, Susan and Lucy, are meeting with Mr and Mrs Beaver. Mr Beaver first tells them of Aslan, of which we are at this point in the story unaware of any details of what or who Aslan is, and Mr Beaver states that "Aslan is on the Move"

What kind of thoughts does this bring to you? Are you aware that obviously something big is happening, not starting, not finished but happening NOW...Aslan is on the move.

Aslan, even when he is first mentioned, brings two concepts to our and the character's mind. Comfort and Fear. Clearly the Beavers in this story are comforted by the fact he is on the move, even with a little over excitement in their voice when they say "he may have already landed" but fear, as clearly change is coming with him. You know from the first time Aslan is mentioned that change is coming, he brings anarchy and the necessary change to the governmental power that has currently been "given" reign. The anarchist is ready for a revolution, a change in the reigning power.

The Beavers, so pleased that the children have arrived, plan to take them to Aslan, knowing this is what is needed. This following conversation comes:

"Is - is he a man?" asked Lucy
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion, the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh," said Susan, "I thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and make no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king I tell you."

The last bit is the important bit - "Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king I tell you."

When this point was raised, it really made me sit up and pay attention more clearly than I had at any other point. Was he safe? I have known previously the comparative arguments between Aslan and God/Jesus. I had always felt that God was Safe; He is the God of Love, of course He is safe. I know the Old Testament provides examples of the wrathful nature of God and the different ways that the these are shown. But I have always seen that this is not the case since the coming of Jesus, it is Love that is given to us, and with this Love that we are saved, so (for me) knowing that there is Love, I automatically assumed it to be safe.

But then I am reminded that, in fact, he is a Lion, with a wild untamable nature that comes with his being all-powerful. I was reminded of the fear that comes with being in Awe of God.
Through all the stories Aslan turns up when he is needed-not when he is called. This is a clear reflection on God, especially for my relationship with Him, which is also echoed through in Prince Caspian between Trumpkin and Caspian who openly doesn't believe in Aslan, probably due to the fact that it had been many years since he was last seen and heard. This for me, really highlight the wild factor of Aslans character.

The concept of the on-coming anarchy that comes with the grace of God really sat well with me, and even though I hadn't acknowledged thinking about it, I think I had always known it, so was great to be told it, even if it was only to remind me of the truth I had always known. It gave me comfort: The comfort of the truth you hear, the comfort of living in the truth of God.

There are two quotes from the stories (that either came to me from my own reading, or where mentioned in the talk) that I would like to end with for you to think about-I believe that both of these highlight the features of the comfort and fear, anarchy and grace that Aslan/Jesus brings.

"I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
AND

 "Then Hwin, though shaking all over, gave a strange little neigh, and trotted across to the Lion.
"Please," she said, "you're so beautiful. You may eat me if you like. I'd sooner be eaten by you then fed by anyone else."
"Dearest daughter," said Aslan, planting a lion's kiss on her twitching, velvet nose, "I knew you would not be long in coming to me. Joy shall be yours."



I hope to put my notes from the second and third talks in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...