Tuesday 19 February 2013

Day 6 Getting the measurements right

I have been trying hard within this blog challenge to write themes to each week, I thought if i could do this, then hopefully it'll make each week easier to write. This first week came as an accident, and seemingly has been a week where I have looked at self betterment, trying to embrase ourselves and who we are. Soemtimes the best things come by accident. I have learnt that over the years that things really are not ever straightforward, and things come into our lives to knock us. Often these situations happen and we become distressed and lost within who we are. Because of this we try to counteract the disagreement within ourselves by putting protective posts and guards up. I tried to cover this in a previous post this week, how often the thing that we are trying to guard ourselves with no longer exists. Often through hindsight, and a lot of time, we can usually look back upon these events and see some good that has come from it. Showing and helping us to gain some personal growth. We often call these happy accidents, seeing how we have becoming better through our life experiences. When I was a teenager, I was in a horrific Ice Skating accident. I at times hide some of the details about that accident because people don't really need to know all the information. But from it, even though I was acting like a arrogant self seeking teenager, I can see that I have grown into the man that I am today because of the way further enhancement of the accident has allowed me to take growth. At the time though I was angry and hurt by the scenario, and stayed that way for a long time. In recent years one of the things that I have taken on theraputically is baking and cooking. My real masterpiece is a cheesecake. Easily made I know, but always a pleasure to make. The first time i made it I followed the measurements perfectly, measuring out on the scales the exact amount. By the end, I was overjoyed by the fact that I made something that looked exactly like the picture, and even better tasted great. Growing in confident, and again self arrogance, this bacame "my" dish to make for friends and family. Being poorly one day and deciding to make one to cheer me up, I contacted my dad and asked him to pick up the ingredients and help me make it. Dad, being dad, bought what he thought I wanted rather than following the shopping list. When he arrived I wasn't too happy that he bought the wrong things, and the worse was going to come, every time I gave him the instructions in what to do he changed it slightly. For example instead of a plain digestive and using half the pack, he bought chocolate digestives and used the pack, creating a thicker base. My dad didnt really have a clue what to do but follwed as well as he could. This continued. But the end the cheesecake looked like a distorted version of the one i made previously. But wow, it tasted fantastic, was fantastic in all aspects. The frustration and anger I had at the current situation had changed to being happy with the finished item. Since then I have always made my cheesecakes as dad did....obviosuly I still take credit for it. In life we can become so concious on teh correct measurements, trying to get everything perfect, trying hard to make the situation turn into the oicture infront of us. Accidents do happen, and they do have a way of shaping us for sure. But at times we need to ride it out and see what we get left with. Things may end up distorted to our original picture but as in life, things seem to work out for the best and shape who we are, and we could all with this become more, gain a real reflection of who we are that is far better than we ever anticipated. Try to look at the accidents in the past and be grateful to how they have made you distorted and have teh opportunity to be a better version of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Gay and the bible

Oh how I hate this opinion, mostly because it is against what the bible actually teaches us! Most of the homosexual comments in the bible ...